Sunday, March 20, 2011

Outdoor Fun

It's officially spring! Spring in Colorado is fantastic because it's the one time of year when we can participate in both winter and summer activities. Up in the high country there's four to seven feet of snow on the ground, while down here everything is dry and I'm wearing flip-flops. Over the last few weeks we've continued our weekend ski trips, but we also went on our first hike of the season. Whatever the activity, I'm happy as long as I get some mountain time.

I haven't posted much about skiing recently because there's not much new to report, and ski pictures all start to look the same after a while. But we've still been getting up as often as we can, and Matt's gone even more than me (he's addicted). Over the last month, we've hit Eldora, Keystone, and Breck. And Matt added Vail and night skiing at Keystone to his list when he went up with some of the guys. I'm slowly improving. And while it's taking me much longer than most people to learn this whole skiing thing, I'm proud to say that I've finally done a blue run!

About to go down my first blue at Eldora.

Of course, the couple of blues that I've done were really easy, but they were still blues! Matt also made vast improvements this year: he did his first double black a couple of weekends ago. I think he's crazy, but as long as he's safe, I can't complain!

Skiing at Keystone and Breck.

Last weekend we headed up to the foothills above Boulder for the first hiking of the season.

Pretty. Dry and dead, but still pretty.

We met Rachel, Keva, and Rachel's friend for the short trek. Even though things are still pretty brown, it was nice to get up in the mountains without donning my snowpants. And the trails are much less busy this time of year.

Walking and enjoying the serenity.

The hike made me really ready for more warm weather. We still hope to get out and ski a couple more times, but I'm really ready for hiking, camping, and barbecues. Bring on spring!

1 comment:

Deb Herndon said...

Good to know the hills are calling you again! Warm weather has arrived here as well... even I put on flip flops last week! in MARCH! crazy!