Monday, August 22, 2011

Happy 4th of July!

Some people may think it's a little weird to wait until the middle of August to blog about the 4th of July. Not me. With all the stress and sadness of summer's end and the return to school, I knew that I would need a pick-me-up. I chose to hold off on this post until now so I could relive the fun of the holiday. The delay has nothing to do with the fact that I've been really behind on blogging all summer. Nothing at all.

Anyway, you may remember from my last post (if you can think back that far...) that some of our awesome friends came to visit us in order to help Matt with his fireworks show. This year, Matt left the country club behind and moved to bigger and better things. He was the lead pyrotechnician on the Lafayette Chamber of Commerce show, which was the first show put on in the city in 20 years!

While the boys (Matt, John, Dac, and Alex, along with my brother-in-law, George, and our friend, Rick) were setting up during the hottest day of the summer...



Alisha and I stayed cool by shopping in air-conditioned stores. Then we came home and took a nap. It was rough.

After our relaxing day, we loaded up my car with dinner and LOTS of water/gatorade to take down to the guys. By four o'clock, the six boys had gone through an entire case of water and an entire case of gatorade. And they were feeling pretty desperate for more! Like I said, it was HOT!

Needless to say, our arrival with provisions was greeted pretty positively. The guys took a short break for lasagna and goodies...


Then it was back to work.


Alisha and I got our work-out by hauling our cooler and chairs to the other side of the lake to get ready to watch the show. Then we continued our trend of exerting little to no energy by sitting by the lake for 3 hours! My family quickly joined us to "support" Matt and the guys.



Playing and waiting for the show to start!

Finally, it was time!

So pretty!

It was a GREAT show! The guys did a fantastic job and everyone loved it. In fact, Matt got rave reviews from the Lafayette Chamber of Commerce and many other people who saw the show. We're hopeful and optimistic that he'll get to do the same show next year. And maybe the excitement of blowing things up will continue to draw our friends out for more fun visits!


Happy Independence Day (in August...)!

No comments: