Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Down on the Farm

Sometimes my job is pretty cool. Well, my job is often pretty cool, but sometimes it's super fun in a non-educational way. Last week, my school's SpEd department took a trip to the farm. It was the best field trip I've ever been on, even including all of those I took in my own school days.

Our trip to the farm was made even better by the fact that one of my students LOVES everything about the farm. And I mean LOVES. I can't put into words the amount of joy he experienced in this field trip. In fact, a significant amount of misery was also experienced in waiting for the day to arrive. We had many meltdowns and crying fits because "Today's not the day!" But finally, Farm Day (as we were calling it on all of our many countdown calendars) finally arrived.

We started our fun day with a big breakfast with all of our kids. Each classroom was responsible for making something to contribute; our class made juices. The kids loved following the directions and making something delicious. After the very large breakfast of pancakes, bacon, and juice, we got on the bus for our trip up to Loveland.

After getting a little bit lost on the back country roads, we finally made it! My little kiddo was so thrilled to finally see the animals!

Big pig.


Charlotte's web... or an awesome spider web over the pig pen. I liked to imagine a little spider saving the life of a little pig.

The farm had pigs and piglets, cows, chickens, kittens, a horse, and kids (baby goats), which were my absolute favorites!

The two sisters were huddled together.

I got to hold each of the goats. It was pretty awesome.



My teacher and a piglet.

After our tour of the farm and the animals, the kids got to take hayrides and cook hot dogs and marshmallows over our large campfire.



Children and fire! Scary...

For the rest of the trip, the kids had free reign over the place. We wandered and played until we had to drag our kiddos back on the bus.

The kids wore out the pigs.


Visiting the cows. They were his favorite.


Ancient KFC bucket inside the chicken coop. Oh, the irony!

The kids (and the teachers) had such a great time that they were talking about it for days after. It was such a fun day!

No comments: