Sunday, October 24, 2010

fun. Times

We've kind of had a run of awesome concerts lately, starting with the two-day Mile High Music Fest in August, followed by Ben Folds, and now fun.! I think it's pretty awesome because I love music.

Last weekend, we went to see one of our new favorite bands, fun.. Their name is a little confusing, but they actually call themselves "fun." with a lower-case f and a period. I promise, I'm not making this up. It made things a little confusing when I told people I was going to the fun. concert. Anyway, I call them one of our new favorite bands because they've only been around for a couple of years, but I feel like we've been listening to them for much longer. That's because Matt and I have loved the lead singer's former band, The Format, since college. The song that really got us into their music was the title track off their album, Dog Problems. It's pretty ridiculously awesome. If you don't believe me, have a listen.



I've always loved The Format's music because of the epic, storytelling quality that they consistently utilized. I feel like I travel through various emotions and states of mind as I listen to each song. The Format combined many musical elements to create really good music, which seems to be more and more scarce in our modern culture.

When we heard that The Format had broken up, it was pretty disappointing. Luckily for us, the lead singer quickly formed fun. and I have been listening to them ever since. Here's one of their songs from their new album, Aim and Ignite.



I tell you this history of one of my favorite bands in order to prepare you for the remainder of this post, which is all about the awesomeness that was the fun. concert.

Umm... they forgot the period. Lame.


I took pictures of our tickets because (a) I was excited, and (b) the Fox Theatre sucks at organization and we stood outside in the cold for an hour - I was a little bored. It made me angry, but I was still excited.

We got inside just as the first of two opening acts was starting.

The first opening act. It was a guy whose name started with a "J." He was kind of cool, but obviously, not very memorable.


The second opening act (though they played a really long set) was Steel Train. This was when they mellowed down for a song. The rest of their set was crazy, with lots of jumping around and excitement. Unfortunately, jumping around makes pictures look blurry, so this is all I got.

Finally, it was time for fun.!

fun.


Awesome.


So excited.

The band put on a really good show. The epic quality of their songs worked really well onstage, and the lead singer's theatricality, along with the other musicians' talent and passion, added to the whole show. Most of the audience in the small venue knew all of the words and sung along the whole time. In fact, the musicians struggled a little with keeping up their energy in the high altitude, so the audience was encouraged to help out! It was a great show, and I hope to catch them again the next time they come to town.

So good.

I guess you could say that fun. was fun! Ha!

No comments: