Wednesday, October 8, 2008

What to blog about...

This is me.




I'm Kelly. I'm somewhat new to this whole blogging thing. Of course, in college I had a couple of the social networking/community blogs, but they were mostly silly. But I guess a lot of things in college are kinda silly. Anyway, this is my first attempt at a "grown-up" blog.

When I was first considering starting this thing up, I was unsure what I wanted the focus to be. I don't really want this to just become my random ramblings; I'd like there to be a general theme. So, I thought, I can blog about my marriage. I've been married for a little over a year, and I think we're pretty darn happy.



This is me and my husband, Matt.


But as much as I love being married, I just don't think my marriage is all that interesting. That's a good thing, I guess. I don't have any great dramatic stories to tell because we don't have a ridiculous amount of drama. We're just mundanely happy. Of course, I know I'll mention Matt occasionally, just not enough to fill a blog.


So...


I'm an actress. The most obvious choice would be to dedicate my blog to theatre and acting.


Me as Little Sally, in one of my favorite shows, Urinetown: The Musical.



More recently, this is part of the cast from A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, which was performed this past July.



But really... I just do theatre in my spare time. I received a degree in theatre, and it's a huge passion of mine, but I don't plan on persuing it as a career. I guess I just don't want to make the sacrifices that so many other actors choose to make. So I'm not sure that my dinky experience would provide much insight, or even be that interesting.

I love reading. I could spend hours and hours just shut in my room with a book. I'm completely obsessed with Harry Potter. If I had started this blog before the final book came out, many posts would have been all about my theories. Snape's really a good guy, Harry is a Horcrux, etc. Now that Deathly Hallows is out, there's not much left to say on the issue. And to be perfectly honest, without crazy HP theories to discuss, I think most book blogs can be boring. Some are done really well, but that's not for me and not for this blog.



I like cooking, but I really don't have the talent to blog about it. The same goes for my interest in crafting. I enjoy sewing, cross-stitch, and online "scrapbooking." I even sewed my own bridesmaid dresses.




View of the top.





And the bottom.



Now, they certainly aren't Project Runway quality (and definitely not my own design!), but I think they're pretty cool. Of course, it must be said that my mother assissted with the finishing. I procrastinated till the very end, and she had to come in and help me finish things up. She also made my wedding dress. She has real talent.



Other interests? I love traveling. But really, I don't get to do that very often. Matt and I recently took a trip to New York City with my parents. It was a lot of fun, but I doubt we'll be going anywhere else any time soon.



Matt and I in front of Radio City Music Hall.



We also really enjoy the outdoors. Hiking, camping, and just being outside. We're really pretty new at the hiking thing; this summer was really the first. Hopefully, there will be many more.



Matt and I up at Kenosha pass.

So in the end, my blog will probably be about a little of everything. And that's ok. It's really for me that I started this thing anyway. I'd love to have family and friends read up on the things happening in my life, but if they don't that's ok. As long as it's fun for me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yay for Kelly's new blog! I think what you have written is great. I should do something similar, to get me back in the habit of writing. I remember (vaguely) that I enjoyed writing more around the time that I was writing in my journal a lot. And like we were saying the other night, it's fun to go back and read what you've written. I'll check in every now and then, just to see how it's going.