Sunday, December 27, 2009

Skiing: Round Two

Christmas sure knows how to monopolize my time. This week has been crazy! But way back last weekend, we took a break from getting ready for Christmas and we headed skiing with some friends. I really hoped this would be a better experience than last year.

Before we headed up to Keystone, I had a plan. I decided I wanted to spend the entire morning all alone on the "bunny" slopes. You know, the super easy areas that often have a "magic carpet" conveyer belt. I'm pretty sure they're mostly meant for kids, but I was ok with taking things really easy. I felt confident that without the pressure of trying to keep up with everyone else, I would quickly improve. Unfortunately, Matt decided we should just head down the "school zone" run together. I wasn't sure I was ready for a real run with tons of people, but I let Matt convince me that I could handle it.

And I could handle it... Sort of...

We started out ok. I took my time, zig-zagging back and forth down the slopes. I was doing pretty well, and I started getting a little more excited.


Matt, having fun on the slopes.

But then it started getting more difficult. I had a pretty good fall after heading down a particularly steep part, and it wasn't as fun anymore. Suddenly, I realized I was pretty close to the top of a very long run that was probably a little too advanced for me. But I kept plugging along (and kept falling), and made it to the halfway point.

At this point, I gave up. But even though I had only made it halfway down one run, I'd been on the mountain for about three hours and I was pretty exhausted. We hopped on the ski lift going down (which kind of ended in disaster when I fell off at the end), and I took of my extremely heavy skis and boots for good (at least for the day).

I certainly made some improvements since the last time we went skiing. Maybe I would have made more progress if I'd followed my plan and stayed in the magic carpet area, but maybe not. Maybe being thrown out on a mountain forced me to be less timid, making me learn more quickly. Regardless, I'm definitely getting better. And I'm looking forward to going again.

But at that point, I was happy to let the boys keep skiing while I relaxed.

Dave and Joe. They're both really good skiers, but they were nice enough to put up with me tagging along.

Matt is doing great, of course. He's a million times better than me, but I'm ok with it. As long as he enjoys himself.

Matt, probably planning to go on some crazy run.

Pink goggles! Yay! I think I was thrilled that I was done at this point.

Once I decided I was done skiing, I occupied myself by walking around the shops. I sat and relaxed with a well deserved beer, and I bought myself a super cute hat. So, it was a good day in the end. And I saw Santa!

I'm pretty sure he was the real Santa because he had a reindeer with him.

It wasn't too much longer before the guys were done and we were headed home.

Mountains as we were leaving.

But first, we needed burgers. Apparantly, it's some tradition for Dave and Joe to get burgers after skiing. I think it is a good tradition.

Joe is excited for burgers.

It was a fun day, and we're looking forward to getting up in the mountains again soon!

No comments: