Thursday, June 3, 2010

Dark Deeds Are Afoot!

Yup, it's true. Even though I told everyone (including myself) that I was giving up theatre while in grad school, here I am in another show. I just couldn't turn down the opportunity to play the damsel in a ridiculous melodrama. Doesn't that just sound like tons of fun?

Well, it is.

Though it made my life a little crazy and stressful at times, I'm really glad I decided to accept the role. It's been such a release from the stress of work and grad school. I have had a blast!
Last weekend, we opened our show to great (if small) houses! Tomorrow night, we continue our run! If you're in the Denver area you should definitely come check us out. Just look at how much fun we have:

Damsel, Bertha Birthright (me) and the villain, Montague Leech


Getting ready for the show. Look, it's my mom.

It's been a lot of fun getting to be in a show with my mom again. This is only the third time in my life it's happened, and the only time as an adult. I was five and thirteen during each of the previous shows we've done together.

I'm a pirate... before I turn into a damsel.


Tai Pan.


Our hero, Jack Swan, and the evil villain.


Jack Swan, saving me from... something. I look a little scared. I think it's because my giant dress is eating us.


Even heroes need to be saved some times. Lt. Lorne Order to the rescue!


Me and one of my men...


Oooh, scary. See this show has everything.


Damsel and villain. We're obviously not in character or he would be doing something mean and I would be crying about it.


Carlota Castanet de San Diego. Dead... under mysterious circumstances (or resting during intermission).

As you can see, this show is ridiculous. But it's also hilarious and tons of fun! I had originally thought that I didn't have time to participate in theatre and keep my sanity. Now I'm thinking that being involved in this show has helped me to keep my sanity. It's been such a relief to stop thinking about special education for a couple hours, and just play and have fun!

Come see Dark Deeds at Swan's Place (or Never Trust a Tattooed Sailor) this weekend: Friday and Saturday at 7:30, Sunday at 2. For information, visit the Platte Valley Players website!

No comments: