Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Heart Attacks and Avoiding Homework

Whew! What a week. Not only was I finishing up work for the year, while taking two grad school classes and rehearsing for a play, but then we had some major family health issues that added lots of fear and stress!

I'll start with the big and scary news. Early Thursday morning, Matt's dad woke up with chest pain and pressure. After a trip to the doctor, an ambulance ride to Wichita, and some tests, it was determined that he had had a mild heart attack. In fact, he'd been having a multiple mild heart attacks over the last few weeks. After more tests, they decided that bypass surgery would be necessary. Needless to say, Matt and I got in the car on Friday to join the rest of the family in Wichita.

The great news is that the surgery went really well. It was a double bypass that left Rex feeling pretty crummy. But the recovery has already begun! He got to go home today! Matt's already got his plane tickets to head back out to Kansas this weekend. Unfortunately, I won't be able to join him, but I'm really glad he'll get to spend some time with his dad.

There was quite a crowd there to see Rex into surgery.


In the hospital courtyard, thinking calm thoughts.


Very sad to be leaving family behind, but it was time to head home.

Prior to all the excitement, I had been going crazy trying to get all my homework done. It was becoming so stressful for me, that I decided I needed a break. I took all of last Sunday and played hookie. I didn't do any homework all day!

I went to lunch with my family and played with the youngest nieces. Since my sister never updates her blog, I feel the need to post some pictures of these adorable children of hers.

Evie, eating her spoon. Yum.


Coloring.


Silly!

We rounded out my day of playing hookie with a rousing game of Blokus:


Games are fun!

and buying new patio furniture:


Of course, after a whole day of avoiding homework, I was crazy for the rest of the week trying to get all my homework done and finish at work for the year. But now I can finally be excited that I'm on summer break!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.