Tuesday, March 10, 2009

"Do you play croquet with the Queen today?"

This last weekend was a good one. It was one of those weekends that made me dread going back to work on Monday.

It started with a fun trip to the Denver Art Museum on Saturday. The first Saturday of every month is a free day, which is really fantastic. Everyone in Denver should take advantage of it. So, for $5 in parking Matt and I went to the Art Museum.

Unfortunately, my camera's battery died right as we got there, so I had to use my phone's camera to take pictures. It's not the best camera, especially for art. But oh, well.

There was a really cool exhibit called Fox Games. My pictures were so bad, that I won't even include them. But go here if you want to see something cool.

My favorite piece is probably Linda by John De Andrea. It's so realistic that my pictures will never do it justice. I was sure she was going to open her eyes at any second.


The Hayagriva Mandala was also very cool. It was made of sand by Buddhist monks. A better image of the design and some cool info can be found here.


And finally (though there were so many cool pieces I could keep posting all night), there was an interesting piece of a palace facade from Pakistan. It was carved out of wood, and it was so intricate.


It was a good day. And now I feel so cultured.

In front of a big broom sculpture outside the museum.

Matt's birthday is this week (tomorrow, in fact), so we had a little gathering with my family on Sunday to celebrate.

I got Matt an AWESOME card that played music. He was thrilled. Really... he wasn't faking it in that picture... at all...

Anyway, some tickets to a Colorado Rapids game came with it, so I think he liked that.

And I made him a delicious cheesecake.


After desert, we enjoyed the beautiful weather by playing croquet at a local "park" area. Though I think Matt enjoyed throwing the mallets around more than playing the game itself.


It was fun.




Salem turned into a sun god for this pic.

So it was a great weekend of art and croquet.

And bonus points if you can tell me what book my title quote came from. Actually, it's pretty easy, so negative points if you can't tell me where it came from.

1 comment:

The Moskal Family said...

That Linda by John De Andrea, is really cool! I wish we had as much culture around here, but it's a 4 hour drive away in NYC.

Cool pic of Salem!

Ok, I have negative points :(