Friday, November 20, 2009

Sifting through boxes of memories...

I've been very nostalgic recently.

Shortly after I left for college, my sister moved back in with my parents. Many of her belongings from her own home were put into storage to be taken out once she needed them again. Because she was going to be staying in my old room, many of my belongings were also boxed up and put into storage. I had with me whatever I could fit in my dorm room (which wasn't much). Everything else was left behind.

Finally, the time has come go through all the junk and clear out the storage unit. With the extra space in our basement, we'll be storing some of the stuff there until Salem moves in with her fiance. Then she can take her junk with her! I will be sorting through my crap now, however, since I have a house to put it all in.

So last weekend, my mom, Matt, and I got to work.

Boxes and things to be transferred to my house. The unit was packed FULL before we started. At this point we'd already taken a couple trips.

Mom. Some things were pretty dusty and nasty.

This is what was left at the end of our day. WAY less than what was there to begin with.

We managed to get all of my belongings moved to my house and I began to dig through them this week.

My stuff.

It's been a pretty bizarre experience sifting through this stuff. All of my belongings - ALL of my belongings - were just thrown into boxes. And the last time I saw any of it was 5 years ago. It's kind of weird to find items that were once so important to me. My old journals have been especially interesting.

My stuff, all over my basement floor.

The hard part is that I don't want to get rid of anything. Even if I've forgotten I owned something over the last few years, the second I see it, it's like I'm 18 again and it's the most important thing in the world.
This process is going to be difficult. But at least I have my Baby-Sitters Club collection back!

No comments: