Thursday, November 6, 2008

Oh, the hilarity of vain surveys!

I am a member of a couple of websites that reward one for participating in surveys. The rewards are usually small. The survey I took today was 50 points, and it takes 1450 points to get a $10 gift card. So I'm not exactly getting paid big bucks for this stuff. But I don't mind doing them, and eventually it may add up. Anyway, today I took what was possible the funniest survey I've seen yet.

The introduction page stated very clearly that I was only to participate if I was going to provide thoughtful answers and take my time completing the survey. Most surveys don't usually have a statement like this, but I didn't really think much of it.

Well, these guys must really take their hair care seriously.

Yes, the survey was about hair care. Not too odd, I guess. A hair care company probably wants to know a little bit more about what their consumers are thinking. Perfectly understandable. But wait...

Are these questions for real?

Are they really asking me a formal survey question using the term "hook up"? What exactly does "hook up" mean anyway. (I don't really want anyone to answer that for me.) And what kind of girl to you think I am: "When meeting a guy for the first time..."!! I'm not likely to "hook up" with anyone after meeting them for the first time! (Yes, I know I said "somewhat likely," and I'm not really sure why. I think I was just focusing on the hair part of the question, and not the fact that I'm not "easy.")


Um... none of the above? How am I supposed to generalize all guys my age? And a lot of guys with "bad" hair know perfectly well what sort of impression they're making on snotty girls, and they don't care! Because those girls are snotty.


Really? Words used to describe guys' personalities based on their hair. What? It's sad that people really make these associations in real life. I don't like that guy's hair, he must be lazy, dirty, and clueless about what girls want!


Is "gel-met" really a term? And I'm not even sure how to answer this question.

My husband has two BIG cowlicks on the back of his head. These leave him with very few styling options, so he generally keeps it really short. If I had seen his cowlicks or his short unstyled hair when we first started dating, and said, "This guy won't ever be successful, is goofy and lazy, and has no idea what girls want," we wouldn't be together. And I would have been wrong... three out of four times.

Because he's really goofy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OMG! Those questions are nuts!