Monday, July 27, 2009

Kelly's Not as Strenuous - But Still Fun! - Weekend

Because Matt was off on his boys' trip (see previous post), I had to find a way to entertain myself this weekend. On Friday night, my mom and I went to see August: Osage County at the Denver Center for the Performing Arts. We had wanted to see the show when we were in New York last year, but didn't get the chance. So when we saw that the Broadway tour was coming to Denver, we had to get tickets.


I really enjoyed the experience of seeing the show with my mom, and getting to discuss it after. The show itself? It was quite good, but not as great as we'd expected. It won many awards on Broadway, including the Tony for best play, so we were expecting this amazing evening of theatre. Unfortunately, for various reasons, it didn't deliver quite like we'd hoped. But it was an interesting show, and it was fun getting to go with my mom.

Each summer, my sisters and I make a trip to our local Renaissance Festival north of Colorado Springs. Matt's never been as much of a fan of the festival as the rest of us, and with him gone Saturday, it was a good day to make our trek.

On our way.

So excited.

The whole idea of a Renaissance Festival is really pretty odd, yet it is one of my favorite things to do in the summer. Most of the time, we just stand around outside in the dirt, have some food and drinks, and look at pretty things that are usually too expensive to buy. Occasionally, we'll watch some of the silly jousting shows. But somehow, it's still so much fun!

Cheers!

A few of the crazy people who worked at the festival. They were funny.

The kiddos, about to enter the maze.

Chris bought beautiful flowers for his wife and daughter. They left the baby with Grandma. Probably smart, given the heat, sun, and dirt.

Salem also bought flowers for her girls. Aww, happy family. Just look how Salem looks lovingly at her daughter.

While at the festival, we saw Dog the Bounty Hunter. So... that was cool.

Dog.

The kiddos got their faces painted.

The joust.

After the festival, we tried to have an impromptu birthday party for my brother-in-law, as Matt and I will be out of town next week during his actual birthday. Unfortunately, we were all so tired from the day, that we weren't a lot of fun.

Sleepy.

I guess we'll just have to owe you a good party, Chris!

Sunday, we celebrated my dad's birthday with a little bar-b-que gathering. It was quite exciting because Matt wasn't around to grill. I channeled my "inner man" and made some pretty good brats and hot dogs. I was a little proud.

As a gift to my dad, my sisters and I framed some of my dad's old 45s. As in 45s my dad recorded back in the 70s. There were a few of his songs that he performed with Fyre, his band at the time. There was also one he recorded himself, and one he produced. It ended up looking pretty darn good. But I forgot to get a picture of the end product before he took it home, so I'll have to add it later.

Well, I may not have climbed a mountain this weekend, but I had a pretty good time. Matt looked like he had a great weekend, too. I guess I may need to make him take me along next time!

No comments: