Saturday, July 11, 2009

"Today [...um, I mean last Saturday...], we celebrate our Independence Day!"

So I know I'm a little late, but...

Happy Fourth of July, everyone!!

I've been addicted to a new book this week, so there has been little time for silly things like blogging. But I decided I had better make time. I knew you were all sitting at home thinking, "I wonder what Matt and Kelly did for the 4th." So I thought I'd better tell you.

We started our holiday with a hike up Bear Peak, which is west of Boulder.

Matt was excited and ready to go.

It was a pretty steep climb at times, so it gave us a pretty good workout.

The peak we were heading to.

Pretty flowers on the mountain.

Pretty view. You can see the red building where we started.

Zoom in on our starting location.

This was not at the top, but it was the best view we got that day.

Our view from the peak was obstructed because we were completely buried in clouds. It was kinda cool, though.

This was about as good as the view got from the top.

It felt kinda magical up in the clouds.

A chipmunk.

Climbing down. It was a little steep and rocky.

Another shot of our starting location.

Another zoomed in look at our starting location.

Pretty tired on the way down.

That top peak in the middle is the one we climbed.

Back in the parking lot, looking at the mountain we'd just tackled. I was pretty proud.

After the hike and lunch (and a little rest back at home), we headed off to the Rapids game. Matt had gotten tickets for my birthday. It was a good present.

Soccer!

Edson.

Unfortunately, we lost.

Sad.

But there were still fireworks to look forward to. The "biggest show in Colorado!"

Excited.

Lots of people waiting for fireworks.

Sadly, the fireworks completely failed. Multiple songs played simultaneously on the sound system, while we stared up expectantly at a completely dark sky. Some sad lonely shells did make it in the air, but not very many.

And we still had a ton of traffic that we got to fight on our way out! There was a ridiculous number of people there that night.

Long line of cars (and they're trying to get through...)

But unlike most of the crazy people in attendance, we went to see the actual game. So while we were very disappointed in the sad fireworks (and crazy traffic), it was still a pretty fun night.

I hope everyone had a safe and happy Fourth! Be proud to be an American (and not just because the song says)!

No comments: